Gas Safety Week 2016

This week, we’re proud to lend our support to Gas Safety Week 2016.

Organised by the Gas Safe Register, Gas Safety Week 2016 will see organisations from across the UK working together to raise awareness of the dangers of poorly maintained gas appliances, which can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.

As a timely reminder of the importance of gas safety, Rightio visited a very dangerous situation last week where a customer asked us to service a back boiler unit (BBU) which hadn’t been inspected in over 3 years. The customer had also started to suffer from dull headaches and dizziness.

When our Gas Safe engineer Peter Leung arrived at the customer’s home, he was shocked at what he saw. The inside of the boiler was covered in soot and it was immediately clear the customer had been suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning. Our engineer opened all the windows and spent the next 4 hours cleaning the boiler. He also called the National Grid to check the gas meter as a further safety precaution.

Peter’s actions speak volumes about Rightio’s commitment to doing things right and all our engineers’ devotion to gas safety. Talking about his visit to this home, Peter said, “I’m just relieved that Rightio were able to get there in time before something terrible happened to this customer, such as loss of consciousness. It’s not just boilers which can potentially leak gas or carbon monoxide – poorly maintained hobs, ovens and gas fires can also cause problems.”

Last year, Rightio responded to 1,239 gas leaks – and made 1,239 homes gas safe. If you haven’t had a gas safety inspection recently, you can book one online today.